Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Disaster Recovery


Disaster Recovery Information for Events in Riverside County


The US Small Business Administration has programs to assist survivors who suffered from the February 21 and continuing severe storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides.

SBA continues to offer disaster assistance by way of low-interest Federal loans to those affected by severe storms, tornadoes and flooding. For Economic Injury Disaster Loan, the deadline is January 3, 2024.

Economic Injury: for businesses and private non-profit organizations suffering adverse financial impacts of the disaster (with or without property loss), up to $2,000,000 for working capital to help pay obligations until normal operations resume.

Please see the information below for additional information and assistance that was recently made available from the Small Business Administration (SBA)

Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 7-1-1.


Please see the information below for additional information and assistance that was recently made available from the Small Business Administration (SBA)

Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 7-1-1.


If your home or business was damaged or incurred losses during recent storms, please click this link and fill out the form. This form is not an application for assistance nor a guarantee of any benefits. The form is to assist the County Emergency Management Department in determining the extent of damages within the community. This information will be used to help determine if Riverside County qualifies for any State or Federal disaster programs.

A Local Emergency was declared on March 30th due to storms that occurred on March 21 and 22.

There is not currently any declared state or federal disaster in Riverside County as a result of recent storms.

General Information About Recovering From Disasters

Disaster recovery is a broad process that includes, to the best extent possible, returning residents, businesses, cities, the county and special districts to their pre-disaster state. The process involves a variety of agencies working together to connect needs with resources.

Disasters are incredibly hard. We know there are a wide range of emotions and fears that come with a disaster. Riverside University Health System's Behavioral Health Department is available to help residents cope with loss. To get help, please call the CARES hotline at: (800) 499-3008.

Generally, there are a number of programs that a disaster may qualify to assist in recovery. Public Assistance (PA) provides assistance to state agencies, local governments, special districts and eligible private non-profit organizations impacted by a disaster.​ The following state and federally-funded disaster assistance programs available to state agencies, local governments, special districts and eligible private non-profit organizations are: California Disaster Assistance Act (CDAA), Federal Disaster Assistance (DR & EM), and the ​Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG). The recovery function of the Emergency Management Department works to ensure that all state and federal support available is extended to applicants in an efficient and timely manner in order to assist in recovery from a major disaster or emergency.

With any disaster, time is of the essence. Many of the recovery programs have deadlines requiring damages be reported within a specified time period following the event.

Survivors are always encouraged to file insurance claims for damage to their homes, personal property, businesses and vehicles before they apply for other assistance.

Residents and businesses that already receive assistance such as Cal-Fresh, CalWORKS, etc. should reach out to their normal caseworker to determine the assistance available through those programs.

As people return to their homes in a fire area, there are several steps they can take to protect themselves from the ash and soot that may be spread throughout some neighborhoods.

  • We recommend that people wear a mask or respirator while outdoors to reduce exposure to smoke, dust, and debris.  A properly fitting N95, KN95 or P100 respirator provides the highest level of protection against dust and smoke.  For those without access to an N95, KN95 or P100 respirators, dust masks, surgical masks, and other face coverings are a good alternative and provide greater protection than not wearing a face covering, mask, or respirator.
  • For those with medical concerns, such as asthma, heart disease or other respiratory illnesses, consult your doctor before engaging in any strenuous cleanup activities.
  • Do not use water to hose down driveways and property. The dirty run-off may get into the drainage system.
  • Do not use motorized air blowers to clear off driveways, lawns, and roofs. The blowing dust and dirt may contain caustic materials that could be breathed into the lungs.
  • Wear gloves, long-sleeve shirts, and long pants during cleaning activities.

Clearing hazardous debris after a fire

After a fire there may be a number of hazardous conditions that need to be made safe before residents can return to their property. Before experts can mitigate any hazards, a Right of Entry form must be completed and signed by the property owner. The forms and additional information can be found in the following documents.

Right of Entry forms

Helpful resources describing the process of removing hazardous materials after a fire




Contractors State License Board (CLSB)


Phone: (800) 321-2752

Provides assistance to those impacted by the fire and looking for licensed contractors with verifications of contractor licenses.

Department of Insurance (CDI)


Phone: (800) 927-4357

Provides assistance on handling delays, additional living expenses, under insurance disputes, etc.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)


(800) 777-0133

Provides assistance on replacing DMV documents, such as driver’s licenses, identification cards, vehicle registration certificates and certificates of title.

California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA)


Phone (800) 400-7115

Provides disaster relief to taxpayers, fee payers, and business owners who live in or own businesses in counties where a state of emergency exists.

Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) – Riverside County


Phone: (877) 410-8827

Provides access to food, housing cash, childcare, employment and health coverage assistance. Programs include CalFresh, CalWORKs, Child Care, Employment Services, Homeless Programs, Medi-Cal, and Community Outreach.

Department of Animal Services – Riverside County


  • Equine or large animal assistance: (951) 358-6514
  • Small pet assistance: (951) 358-7387

Shelter locations:

Western Riverside County/City Animal Shelter

  • 6851 Van Buren Blvd, Jurupa Valley, CA 92509
  • Phone: (951) 358-7387
  • Toll-free: (888) 636-7387

Coachella Valley Animal Campus

  • 72-050 Pet Land Place, Thousand Palms, CA 92276
  • Phone: (760) 343-3644, toll-free: (888) 636-7387

Provides equine, large animal, and small pet assistance. If in need of pet food, please visit one of our animal shelter locations. May be able to assist with some basic veterinary care including vaccinations.

Office on Aging – Riverside County


Phone: (877) 932-4100

Provides access to nutrition services, transportation services Care management, limited material aid, and behavioral/mental health services.

Riverside University Health System Behavioral Health Department

CARES Hotline: (800) 499-3008

Provides access to Behavioral and mental health services.

American Red Cross

Phone: 1-800-RED-CROSS

Offers a variety of services during and after disasters.

United Policyholders

Phone: (415) 393-9990


Helps homeowners and renters navigate the insurance claim process after disasters.

Salvation Army

Phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY


Hemet Location:

Provides disaster relief services to individuals affected by disasters, including fires.

Community Action Partnership of Riverside County


Hemet Service Center:

  • 749 N State St, Hemet, CA 92507
  • (951) 955-4900

Provides utility payment assistance, assisted living resources, and senior housing and care resources.

Transportation and Land Management Agency – Riverside County


Phone: (951) 955-1800

May provide assistance with building permits to build back better, plan checks, property taxes. Notify damages.

Department of Waste Resources – Riverside County


Phone: (951) 486-3200


Right of Entry forms can be submitted to:

Assists with asbestos survey(s) on residential structures; however, a completed Right of Entry form must be submitted to Riverside County Department of Waste Resources prior to the assessment. 

Emergency Management Department – Riverside County


Links to disaster recovery resources and guidelines for returning home after the fire.

Housing and Workforce Solutions – Riverside County


Phone: (951) 351-0700

Provides housing services for individuals that have been displaced.

Department of Environmental Health – Riverside County


Phone: (951) 358-5055 / (951) 766-6524

Assists with information on hazardous materials removal and disposal, food and water safety, septic systems, private well systems, pool/spa maintenance. 

Southern California Edison (SCE)

SCE Disaster Support

SCE works with customers affected by major disasters to help ease them through recovery by providing payment arrangements as necessary, assisting with establishing service at temporary locations, ensuring income-eligible SCE customers receive necessary support information and expediting rebuilding with a dedicated Service Planning team.